Friday, July 22, 2011

Working with a positive attitude!

So, I recently started a new job. I'm that annoying person in the morning in your hotel.  *Knocks twice* Housekeeping.  *Waits for door to open*  I know, I was a customer at a hotel before.  Those people are so annoying.  Now, I'm one of them! 

I've learned a lot the last week at this new job.  Every day is a challenge.  First off, I'm in 85 degree heat in the hallway going from room to room and cleaning up after others all day.  Second, I 'm constantly moving.  Third, I'm on my feet.  Forth, did I mention I clean up after others?  Somehow, someway, I've found a way to make time go by faster. 

Though I come to rooms, most of the time there's no one in there.  I do what I need to do, and get on to the next room.  Every now and again, I come along a customer.  For instance, today I came across I believe 7.  Though I'm hot, sweaty, my feet hurt, and I just want to go home, I put myself in their shoes.  I'd want to be greeted, asked how I am, and hear a friendly voice.  I push all the pain and overheating to the side and smile politely, "Good morning sir, ma'am.  How are you?"  I always get the response, "I'm good, thanks. Keep up the good work; the rooms look wonderful."  That's always accompanied by a smile.  First, the polite response is nice.  The smile makes it better.  The compliment on the room is just what I need to boost my day!

By pushing aside your anger, hurt, pain, overheating, and whatever else you may come across in your day, put yourself in the other person's shoes.  Being polite and positive gives a good response and a wonderful way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment